NWI strives to provide all of our clients, industrial partners and academia alike with as many different methods and testing apparatus as possible. NWI testing services include; independent testing, development of custom testing methods and support for your testing labs. We have many testing instruments that are commonly used in the nonwovens and conventional textile industry. For a list of the INDA and ASTM tests commonly used by NWI, please see the additional information links. NWI also has a full range of filtration testing equipment.
If you have questions or would like to discuss a custom project, please send an email to NWI questions.
Nonwoven and Fiber Testing
- Absorption, desorption and in-plane liquid transport
- Intron for performing a variety of tests including tensile, tear, dynamic friction, creep and fatigue.
- Favimat for testing single fibers
- Mocon for testing moisture vapor transmission
- Abrasion Resistance
- Bursting strength
- Bending stiffness
- Hydrostatic head for measuring barrier properties
- Basis weight
- Air permeability – TextTest
- Gurley Air Permeability
- CTT – Yarn / Filament Abrasion Testing
- Contact Angle
- SEM & Optical Microscopy
Filtration Testing Equipment
- TSI 3160
- TSI 8130
- PALAS MFP-3000-S (fractional aerosol filter test)
In addition to physical testing equipment the following analytical testing is available at NC State University: Analytical Instrumentation Facility, FTIR, UV-VIS, NIR, GC, HPLC, LLS and XRD.